Friday, September 23, 2005

Footie Fever


Well its not really 'footie' is it ... but they keep calling it that over here. I keep reminding them we had the word 'footie' first and that we play football not them, but so far I've not convinced the 20 million population of that fact.

Tomorrow is the 'Grand Final' .... the end of the season of the AFL - basically its like the last day of the Premiership and the F.A. Cup final all rolled into one. 80,000 fans of the West Coast Eagles and the Sydney Swans will gather at Melbournes MCG to get drunk and watch the event, along with everyone else it seems on TV. To me it looks like loads of blokes running around in tight shorts kicking and punching the hell out of each other for 80 minutes. Its the most violent team sport on the planet....I'm 100% convinced of that.

I've been invited to experience the big event that everyone's talking about, around at someones house with a barbie thrown in for good measure (more on them later). I'm sure I'll go and watch ... but really I'm more excited about the fact that I'm getting cable TV tomorrow and Newcastle vs Man City are shown live at midnight. Now thats REAL footie.

http://afl.com.au/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah now, funny you should mention real football! Hope you've seen who the Toon have drawn in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup...that's right they're away at Grimsby. You must be worried after we dumped Tottenham out in the week! Up the Mariners...you may appreciate the link too http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?page=up_the_mariners

The Hawkins's said...

Phil,

At least it will provide some target practice for Messers Owen and Shearer. We could do with a 10-0 drubbing to really get the season going !

Martin.