Monday, June 18, 2007

Texas & Tonsils

Last week was an interesting one for a few reasons. While I was away in the Lone Star state again, Maxine was wrestling not only herself feeling poorly but Aidan developed a raging temperature. Having reached the US, the mobile bleeped telling me the cold we suspected he had was something a bit nastier. After a visit to the docs and several opinions, they concluded he had an ear infection coupled with tonsilitis. Nice. So the poor little man wasn't in the fittest of states, Maxine felt unwell and I was a 21 hour plane ride away. This is when being a long way from family is hard....

Anyway, after being also diagnosed with being allergic to penicillin, Aidan is now on the road to full recovery with new antibiotics. He's eating his way through everything which is a good sign. You dare not put any food down in case he sprints across the room on all fours to eat it. I think he's better.

Texas on the other hand has George Dubya to cope with as its most famous son. Not an easy thing to bear. It's great fun speaking to Texan's about their thoughts on the great man - it doesn't take much to get views at one extreme or the other. Texas is an odd place. I finally got to stand on the spot where JFK lost a few too many brain cells (they have a big X which marks the spot on the road - I kid you not). Grassy Knoll was viewed along with the book repository seen. Only the ranch at Southfork to see next time and I think I've covered the tourist trail in Dallas.

No comments: