
I've just got back from New Zealand after a 3 day trip so I thought I'd give you kids a Geography lesson for those pub quiz nights I know you all go to. And I'm sure it will help Andrew fill in his lessons next week at school.
Believe it or not, New Zealand is a 3.5 hour flight away from Melbourne (I always thought it was right on the doorstep of Australia but its 1240 miles away !). There are 2 islands covering an area the size of Great Britain. North Island has a population of 3 million people (and lots of sheep)..... South Island has a population of 1 million people (...and again, more sheep). Most of the population are 'Pakeha' (of European descent...mainly from Britain) and we clearly did our best to wipe out the native Polynesians when Mr Cook arrived ashore. However, the Maori have battled back and are growing in numbers.
The highest peak is 12,313 ft at Mt.Cook and its part of the Southern Alps, a fantastic mountain range along the South Islands western coast. Its home to the ski fields and somewhere I plan to drag Maxine next year if babies in tow will allow. The largest population is in the city of Auckland on North island (home to one of the Cadbury factories I went to see).
Anyway, enough of the facts....its a bloody great place and I'd highly recommend a visit by anyone who happens to be near Antarctica any time soon.
Bye for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment